January 2011 will witness Professor Bruce McCormack give the Croall Lectures (in the Martin Hall at New College) on the theme ‘Abandoned by God: The Death of Christ in Systematic, Historical, and Exegetical Perspective’. The titles are:
- 17th January – Penal Substitution: Its Problems and Its Promise
- 18th January – The Cry of Dereliction: The Strange Fate of Jesus in the New Testament
- 20th January – The Incarnation as Saving Event: Theories Which Order the Work of Christ to a Metaphysical Conception of His Person
- 24th January – Let Justice and Peace Reign: Theories Which Fail to Integrate the Person and Work of Christ
- 25th January – After Metaphysics: Theories Which Order the Person of Christ to His Work
- 27th January – The Lord of Glory was Crucified: Reformed Kenoticism and Death in God.
And later in the year (September 27 – October 4, 2011), Professor McCormack will also be giving the Kantzer Lectures on the theme ‘The God Who Graciously Elects: Six Lectures on the Doctrine of Election’.
Any who have been so priviledged to have heard Bruce lecture before can anticipate a real feast.
Wow. This looks like a must catch event for 2011
How do you always hear of these things before me and I’m at New College? Thanks for the heads up.
It’s simple really. I have a part-time job as Tuxedo Mask.
Fair enough, though I guess you’ve more or less given the game away now.
How can a poor boy living in Oban attend these lectures? Is there cheap boarding? I might just have to bring a tent and hope for the best…that’s how much I would like to go!
Jason K – The cheapest place I’m aware of close to New College is Castle Rock Hostel, which is about 2 min walk away and costs £12-15 per night.
I would offer you space at our place but we already have guests with us for most of January, sorry.
Ah. The ol’ Castle Rock Hostel. I stayed there back in ’99. Many an hour, and many a pint, and many a jig, at Finnegan’s Wake helped me get to sleep at the Castle Rock Hostel too. I found that dancing in this wee city drinking hole where you knew no one (or thought you didn’t) birthed a wonderful freedom, and some interesting moves, on the dance floor. Something to keep in mind as you unwind from Bruce’s lectures.
I would love to have this recorded. Any chance that’s a possibility?
Sounds great, our friend Darren had shared this too (although not the detail, as I recall); thanks, Jason.
I too wonder if this will be recorded and made available, does anyone know (Jason)?
Jeremy and Bobby, I have no idea about plans to record the lectures, or otherwise. Sorry.