Articles, Book Chapters, and Poems
‘“My past has thrown me out”: Reading Samuel Beckett’s Plays in an Age of Trauma’. In Imagination in an Age of Crisis: Soundings from the Arts and Theology, edited by Jason Goroncy and Rod Pattenden, 220–50. Eugene: Pickwick, 2022.
‘“Live Bread for the Starved Folk”: Some Perspectives on Holy Communion’. Ecclesiology 18, no. 1 (2022): 57–77.
‘The Powers of Death: Recognition, Resistance, Resurrection’. Jurnal Jaffray 19, no. 1 (2021): 1–26. [pdf]
‘Creation, God, and the Coronavirus’. Theology 123, no. 5 (2020): 346–52, with Mark G. Brett. [pdf]
‘Race and Christianity in Australia’. Post-Christendom Studies 4 (2019–2020): 25–74. [pdf]
‘Christ’s Body, the Church’s Supper, and the Real Presence in Social Distance’. Stimulus 27, no. 1 (2020): e1–e5. [pdf]
‘Sanctification’. In The Wiley Blackwell Companion to Karl Barth, edited by George Hunsinger and Keith L. Johnson, 303–16. Chichester: Blackwell, 2020.
‘On the Gifts of Street Art’. Zadok 146 (2019): 13–15. [pdf]
‘Theologies of the Cross: James Denney and P. T. Forsyth’. In The History of Scottish Theology, Volume III: The Long Twentieth Century, edited by David Fergusson and Mark W. Elliott, 35–50. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019. [pdf]
‘“A Pretty Decent Sort of Bloke”: Towards the Quest for an Australian Jesus’. HTS Teologiese Studies/Theological Studies 75, no. 4 (2019): e1–e10. [pdf]
‘Dying Without a Script: Some Theological Reflections on Voluntary Assisted Dying’. Colloquium 51, no. 1 (2019): 25–39. [pdf]
‘Reformation and Secularity’. Journal of Reformed Theology 12, no. 1 (2018): 3–21.
‘P. T. Forsyth’. In T&T Clark Companion to Atonement, edited by Adam J. Johnson, 499–503. London: T&T Clark, 2017.
‘Holiness in Victorian and Edwardian England: Some Ecclesial Patterns and Theological Requisitions’. HTS Teologiese Studies/Theological Studies 73, no. 4 (2017): e1–e10. DOI: 10.4102/hts.v73i4.539. [pdf]
‘Habits as Signs: Some Reflections on the Ethical Shape of Christian Community’. International Journal of Practical Theology 21, no. 1 (2017): 27–41. [pdf]
‘Ethnicity, Social Identity, and the Transposable Body of Christ’. Mission Studies 34, no. 2 (2017): 220–45. [pdf]
‘Euthanasia: Some Theological Considerations for Living Responsibly’. Pacifica 29, no. 3 (2016): 221–43. [pdf]
‘The Catholicity of Time in the Work of George Mackay Brown’. Pacifica 29, no. 1 (2016): 22–44. [pdf]
‘Semper Reformanda as a Confession of Crisis’. In Always Being Reformed: Challenges and Prospects for the Future of Reformed Theology, edited by David H. Jensen, 43–73. Eugene: Pickwick Publications, 2016. [pdf]
‘Assembly’, Grouch 4 (March 2015).
‘Return’, Grouch 3 (December, 2014).
‘Called, Sent, Empowered: A Theology of Mission’. In PCANZ Global Mission – Why, Where, and How, np. Wellington: Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand, 2014.
Contributor to Christian Perspectives on Marriage: A Discussion Document, edited by Bruce Hamill, et al. Wellington: Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand, 2014.
‘John Calvin: Servant of the Word’. In Calvin: The Man and the Legacy, edited by Murray Rae, Peter Matheson and Brett Knowles, 13–40. Hindmarsh: ATF Press, 2014. [pdf]
‘Introduction’. In Tikkun Olam – To Mend the World: A Confluence of Theology and the Arts, edited by Jason A. Goroncy, 1–20. Eugene: Pickwick Publications, 2014.
‘Preaching sub specie crucis: An Introduction to the Preaching Ministry of P. T. Forsyth’. In Descending on Humanity and Intervening in History: Notes from the Pulpit Ministry of P. T. Forsyth, edited by Jason A. Goroncy, 1–66. Eugene: Pickwick Publications, 2013. [pdf]
‘Foreword’. In Art That Tells the Story: A Conversation Guide, edited by Christopher R. Brewer, 2–5. Grand Rapids: Gospel through Shared Experience, 2013.
‘Mission and the Priesthood of Christ’. Candour 7 (2013): 7–11. [pdf]
‘Mission and the Priesthood of the Christ’. The Other Journal (25 March, 2013).
‘“Tha mi a’ toirt fainear dur gearan”: J. McLeod Campbell and P.T. Forsyth on the Extent of Christ’s Vicarious Ministry’. In Evangelical Calvinism: Essays Resourcing the Continuing Reformation of the Church, edited by Myk Habets and Robert Grow, 253–86. Eugene: Pickwick Publications, 2012. [pdf]
‘Tui’. Otago Daily Times, 29 October 2012, 9.
‘Church and Civil Society in the Reformed Tradition: An Old Relationship and a New Communion’. Reformed World 61, no. 3 (2011): 195–210. [pdf]
‘The Final Sanity is Complete Sanctity: Universal Holiness in the Soteriology of P. T. Forsyth (1848–1921)’. In “All Shall Be Well”: Explorations in Universalism and Christian Theology, from Origen to Moltmann, edited by Gregory MacDonald, 249–79. Eugene: Cascade Books, 2011. [pdf]
‘Carrying’. In Notes on Mark’s Gospel: GCSE Religious Studies for Edexcel A – Unit 16 by Ina Taylor, edited by Holly Cole and Lee J. Taylor, np. Haddenham: Folens, 2010.
‘The Homosexuality of William Stringfellow’. Journal for Public Theology, June (2010). [pdf]
‘The Elusiveness, Loss, and Cruciality of Recovered Holiness: Some Biblical and Theological Observations’. International Journal of Systematic Theology 10, no. 2 (2008): 195–209. [pdf]
‘Fighting Troll-Demons in Vaults of the Mind and Heart – Art, Tragedy and Sacramentality: Some Observations from Ibsen, Forsyth and Dostoevsky’. Princeton Theological Review 13, no. 1 (2007): 61–85. [pdf]
‘Lesson and the Arts: Dies Irae, John Donne and Luke 7:36–8:3’. Lectionary Homiletics (2007): 27–28. [pdf]
‘Lesson and the Arts: Dylan Thomas and Luke 7:11–17’. Lectionary Homiletics (2007): 19–20. [pdf]
‘Lesson and the Arts: Mark Tansey, Rembrandt Van Rijn, Matryoshka Dolls and Galatians 3:23–29’. Lectionary Homiletics (2007): 36–37. [pdf]
‘Lesson and the Arts: Pablo Picasso and Romans 5:1–5’. Lectionary Homiletics (2007): 10–11. [pdf]
‘Bitter Tonic for our Time – Why the Church Needs the World: Peter Taylor Forsyth on Henrik Ibsen’. European Journal of Theology 15, no. 2 (2006): 105–18. [pdf]
‘Coronavirus, creation and the Creator: What the Bible says about suffering and evil’ (with Mark Brett). ABC Religion and Ethics, 30 April, 2020.
‘Holy Communion and COVID-19: The Body of Christ in a time of social distancing’. ABC Religion and Ethics, 7 April, 2020.
‘Is now the time to make art?’. Art/s and Theology Australia. 1 April, 2020.
‘Seeking Transcendence in Chilean Churches’. Exploring Liturgy, 22 November 2018.
‘How to Write an Essay: General Guidelines for Writing Academic Essays’. YouTube, 2 September 2018.
‘Talkin’ ’bout the Reformation’ (with Penny Mulvey and Geoff Thompson). Crosslight, December 2017, 13–15.
‘Second Best: Rethinking the Roles of Church and State in the Same-Sex Marriage Debate’. ABC Religion and Ethics, 25 September, 2017.
‘Voluntary assisted dying is not a black-and-white issue for Christians – they can, in good faith, support it’ (with Robyn J. Whitaker). The Conversation, 1 August, 2017.
‘Between muddle and ambiguity’. The Christian Century, 5 February, 2016.
‘Theology Matters’, Spanz 58 (Winter 2014), 16. [pdf]
‘No Faith is an Island’. Spanz 44 (September 2010), 16. [pdf]
‘World Communion of Reformed Churches: A Report’ (with Bruce Hamill). Candour 8 (2010): 14–15. [pdf]
‘John Calvin: Servant of the Word’. Candour 9 (2009): 15–23. [pdf]
‘Living for Shalom: The Story of Ross Langmead, by Jeanette Woods’. Australian Journal of Mission Studies 16, no. 1 (2022): 59–61.
‘The Theodicy of Peter Taylor Forsyth: A “Crucial” Justification of the Ways of God to Man, by Theng Huat Leow’. Colloquium 48, no. 1 (2016): 97–99.
‘Dementia: Living in the Memories of God, by John Swinton’. International Journal of Public Theology 8, no. 4 (2014): 497–98.
‘Face of the Deep: A Theology of Becoming, by Catherine Keller’. Candour 15 (2014): 14–15.
‘John Calvin: Christian Humanist and Evangelical Reformer, by John W. de Gruchy’. Candour 12 (2014): 17.
‘Hinterland Theology: A Stimulus to Theological Construction, by Alan P. F. Sell’. International Journal of Systematic Theology 16, no. 1 (2014): 109–13.
‘Barth’s Interpretation of the Virgin Birth: A Sign of Mystery, by Dustin Resch’. The Journal of Theological Studies 64, no. 2 (2013): 818–23.
‘Ethics in the Presence of Christ, by Christopher R. J. Holmes’. Candour 7 (2013): 22–24.
‘Entering the New Theological Space: Blurred Encounters of Faith, Politics and Community, edited by John Reader and Christopher R. Baker’. International Journal of Public Theology 7, no. 2 (2013): 213–14.
‘Changing the Conversation: A Third Way for Congregations, by Anthony B. Robinson’. International Journal of Public Theology 7, no. 1 (2013): 121–23.
‘“Heroes of the church” stories – great for young readers: A Review of three books by Simonetta Carr – John Calvin, Athanasius and Weight of a Flame: The Passion of Olympia Morata’. Candour (2012): 21–22.
‘Barth, by Eberhard Busch’. European Journal of Theology 21, no. 1 (2012): 78–79.
‘Jürgen Moltmann’s Ethics of Hope, by Timothy Harvie’. Studies in Christian Ethics 24, no. 3 (2011): 391–94.
‘The Purple Crown: The Politics of Martyrdom, by Tripp York’. Religious Studies Review 37, no. 1 (2011): 40.
‘Theosis in the Theology of Thomas Torrance, by Myk Habets’. Colloquium 43, no. 1 (2011): 109–13.
‘Reading the Decree: Exegesis, Election and Christology in Calvin and Barth, by David Gibson’. Journal of Theological Studies 62, no. 1 (2011): 415–19.
‘Theosis in the Theology of Thomas Torrance, by Myk Habets’. Religious Studies Review 36, no. 4 (2010): 277.
‘Intimate Horizons: The Post-Colonial Sacred in Australian Literature, by Bill Ashcroft, Frances Devlin-Glass and Lyn McCredden’. Colloquium 42, no. 2 (2010): 271–74.
‘SCM Core Text: Christian Doctrine, by Mike Higton’. International Journal of Systematic Theology 12, no. 1 (2010): 100–03.
‘Transformation of the Self in the Thought of Friedrich Schleiermacher, by Jacqueline Mariña’. Journal of Theological Studies 61, no. 1 (2010): 434–39.
‘Introduction to Modern Theology: Trajectories in the German Tradition, by John E. Wilson’. Religious Studies Review 36, no. 2 (2010): 136.
‘Incarnation Anyway: Arguments from Supralapsarian Christology, by Edwin Christian Van Driel’. Journal of Theological Studies 61, no. 2 (2010): 887–90.
‘The Double Rainbow: James K. Baxter, Ngāti Hau and the Jerusalem Commune, by John Newton’. Candour 7 (August 2009): 20–21.
‘Jesus: A Question of Identity by J. Leslie Houlden’. European Journal of Theology 17, no. 2 (2008): 189–90.
‘Barth and Schleiermacher on the Doctrine of Election: A Systematic-Theological Comparison, by Matthias Gockel’. Journal of Theological Studies 59, no. 1 (2008): 415–19.
‘“That God May Have Mercy Upon All”: A Review-Essay of Matthias Gockel’s Barth and Schleiermacher on the Doctrine of Election’. Journal of Reformed Theology 2, no. 2 (2008): 113–30.
‘Jesus: A Question of Identity, by J. Leslie Houlden’. Religious Studies Review 34, no. 1 (2008): 38.
‘Ecumenical and Eclectic: The Unity of the Church in the Contemporary World: Essays in Honour of Alan P.F. Sell, edited by Anna M. Robbins’. Friends of the Congregational Library 3, no. 1–2 (2008): 6–7.
‘Nonconformist Theology in the Twentieth Century, by Alan P.F. Sell’. European Journal of Theology 17, no. 1 (2008): 91–93.
‘On Being the Church of Jesus Christ in Tumultuous Times, by Joe R. Jones’. Religious Studies Review 34, no. 1 (2008): 38–39.
‘The Barth Lectures, by Colin E. Gunton’. Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 26, no. 1 (2008): 116–18.
‘An Introduction to Torrance Theology: Discovering the Incarnate Saviour, edited by Gerrit Scott Dawson’. Princeton Theological Review 14/2, no. 39 (2008): 122–26.
‘Invitation To Dogmatic Theology: A Canonical Approach, by Paul C. McGlasson’. Religious Studies Review 33, no. 1 (2007): 47.
‘Justification in Perspective, edited by Bruce McCormack’. Religious Studies Review 33, no. 2 (2007): 130.
- Albiston, Jordie, and Kevin Trophy. Prayers of a Secular World (Inkerman & Blunt, 2015)
- Ashcroft, Bill and Frances Devlin-Glass, and Lyn McCredden. Intimate Horizons: The Post-Colonial Sacred in Australian Literature (ATF Press, 2009)
- Baab, Lynne. Friending: Real Relationships in a Virtual World (IVP, 2011)
- Baylies, Peter. The Stay-at-Home Dad Handbook (Chicago Review Press, 2004)
- Bebbington, David. Victorian Nonconformity (Paternoster, 2007)
- Boyd, Gregory A. & Paul R. Eddy. Across the Spectrum: Understanding Issues in Evangelical Theology (Baker Academic, 2006)
- Bradley, W. L. P. T. Forsyth: The Man and His Work (Independent Press, 1952)
- Brewer, Christopher R. Art that Tells the Story (Gospel through Shared Experience, 2011)
- Brown, Peter. Augustine of Hippo: A Biography (University of California Press, 2000)
- Brown, Robert McAfee. P. T. Forsyth, Prophet for Today (Westminister Press, 1952)
- Burns, Bob, Tasha D. Guthrie and Donald C. Guthrie. Resilient Ministry: What Pastors Told us about Surviving and Thriving (IVP Books, 2013)
- Busch, Eberhard. Barth (Abingdon Press, 2008)
- Cairns, Scott. The End of Suffering: Finding Purpose in Pain (Paraclete Press, 2009)
- Card, Michael. A Violent Grace: Meeting Christ at the Cross (IVP, 2000)
- Carr, Simonetta. John Calvin (Reformation Heritage Books, 2008)
- Chesterton, G. K. The Dumb Ox (Doubleday, 1956)
- Chryssavgis, John (ed.). Dialogue of Love: Breaking the Silence of Centuries (Fordham University Press, 2014)
- Crowl, Mike. Grimhilda! – a fantasy for children, and their parents (Frank Joseph Publishing, 2014)
- ———-. The Mumbersons and the Blood Secret (Frank Joseph Publishing, 2014)
- Dawson, Gerrit Scott (ed.). An Introduction to Torrance Theology: Discovering the Incarnate Saviour (T&T Clark, 2007)
- de Gruchy, John W. John Calvin: Christian Humanist and Evangelical Reformer (Cascade Books, 2013)
- Deddo, Gary W. Karl Barth’s Theology of Relations: Trinitarian, Christological, and Human: Towards an Ethic of the Family (P. Lang, 1999)
- Dekar, Paul R. Community of the Transfiguration: The Journey of a New Monastic Community (Cascade Books, 2008)
- Donovan, Vincent J. The Church in the Midst of Creation (Orbis, 1989)
- Driel, Edwin Christian van. Incarnation Anyway: Arguments for Supralapsarian Christology (Oxford University Press, 2008)
- Forsyth, Peter T. Positive Preaching and the Modern Mind (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- ———-. This Life and the Next (Independent Press, 1918)
- Fergusson, David. ‘Will the Love of God Finally Triumph?’, pages 186–202 in Nothing Greater, Nothing Better: Theological Essays on the Love of God (Eerdmans, 2001)
- Gibson, David. Reading the Decree: Exegesis, Election and Christology in Calvin and Barth (T&T Clark, 2009)
- Gibson, David and Daniel Strange (eds). Engaging with Barth: Contemporary Evangelical Critiques (Apollos, 2008)
- Gockel, Matthias. Barth and Schleiermacher on the Doctrine of Election (Oxford University Press, 2006)
- Gossai, Hemchand. Barrenness and Blessing: Abraham, Sarah, and the Journey of Faith (Cascade Books, 2008)
- Green, Chris E. W. Toward a Pentecostal Theology of the Lord’s Supper: Foretasting the Kingdom (CPT Press, 2012)
- Gunton, Colin E. A Brief Theology of Revelation (T&T Clark, 1999)
- ———-. The Barth Lectures (T&T Clark, 2007)
- Habets, Myk. Theosis in the Theology of Thomas Torrance (Ashgate, 2009)
- Hample, Stuart and Eric Marshall. Children’s Letters to God (Workman Publications, 1991)
- Hankins, Luke (ed.). Poems of Devotion: An Anthology of Recent Poets (Wipf and Stock, 2012)
- Hart, Trevor (ed.). Justice the True and Only Mercy: Essays on the Life and Theology of Peter Taylor Forsyth (T&T Clark, 1994)
- Hastings, Ross. Missional God, Missional Church: Hope for Re-evangelizing the West (IVP Academic, 2012)
- Hazel, Harry. The Joy of Teaching: Effective Strategies for the Classroom (Pickwick Publications, 2010)
- Higton, Mike. SCM Core Text: Christian Doctrine (SCM Press, 2008)
- Hill, Bartha. Trust God, Keep the Faith: The Story of Guido de Bres (Inheritance Publications, 2011)
- Holmen, R. W. A Wretched Man: A Novel of Paul the Apostle (Bascom Hill, 2009)
- Holmes, Christopher R.J. Ethics in the Presence of Christ (T&T Clark, 2012)
- Holmes, Stephen R. The Wondrous Cross: Atonement and Penal Substituion in the Bible and History (Paternoster, 2007)
- ———-. The Quest for the Trinity: The Doctrine of God in Scripture, History and Modernity (IVP Academic, 2012)
- Houlden, J. L. Jesus: A Question of Identity (Continuum, 2006)
- Jenson, Robert W. and Solveig Lucia Gold. Conversations with Poppi about God: An Eight-Year-Old and Her Theologian Grandfather Trade Questions (Brazos Press, 2006)
- Jones, Joe R. On Being the Church of Jesus Christ in Tumultuous Times (Cascade Books, 2005)
- Kelly, Geoffrey B. and F. Burton Nelson. The Cost of Moral Leadership: The Spirituality of Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Eerdmans, 2003)
- Kennedy, Geoffrey A. Studdert. After War, Is Faith Possible?: The Life and Message of Geoffrey “Woodbine Willie” Studdert Kennedy (ed. Kerry Walters; Cascade, 2008)
- Kyle, Richard G. & Dale W. Johnson. John Knox: An Introduction to His Life and Works (Wipf & Stock, 2009)
- Langford, Thomas A. Reflections on Grace (Cascade Books, 2007)
- Leow, Theng Huat. The Theodicy of Peter Taylor Forsyth: A “Crucial” Justification of the Ways of God to Man (Pickwick Publications, 2011)
- Lightfoot, Liz (ed.). Outspoken: Coming Out in the Anglican Church of Aotearoa New Zealand (Otago University Press, 2011)
- Lorenzen, Thorwald. Toward a Culture of Freedom: Reflections on the Ten Commandments Today (Cascade Books, 2008)
- Mackintosh, Hugh Ross. The Person of Jesus Christ (T&T Clark, 2000)
- Madsen, Anna M. The Theology of the Cross in Historical Perspective (Pickwick Publications, 2007)
- Malcolm, Kate. Pastorale: being part of the life of James Begg as reconstructed by Kate Malcolm: A Novel (Kate Malcolm, 2011)
- Mariña, Jacqueline. Transformation of the Self in the Thought of Friedrich Schleiermacher (Oxford University Press, 2008)
- Matheson, Peter. The Rhetoric of the Reformation (T&T Clark, 1998)
- McCormack, Bruce L. (ed). Justification in Perspective: historical developments and contemporary challenges (Baker Academic/Rutherford House, 2006)
- McGlasson, Paul C. Invitation to Dogmatic Theology: A Canonical Approach (Brazos Press, 2006)
- McGrath, Alister E. The Life of John Calvin (Blackwell, 1993)
- Morgan, Donn. Manifesto for Learning: The Mission of the Church in Times of Change (Morehouse Publishing, 2012)
- Newton, John. The Double Rainbow: James K. Baxter, Ngāti Hau and the Jerusalem Commune (Victoria University Press, 2009)
- Payne, Don J. The Theology of the Christian Life in J. I. Packer’s Thought (Paternoster, 2006)
- Preuschoff, Gisela. Raising Girls (Ten Speed Press, 2006)
- Reader, John and Christopher R. Baker. (eds). Entering the New Theological Space: Blurred Encounters of Faith, Politics and Community (Ashgate, 2009)
- Resch, Dustin. Barth’s Interpretation of the Virgin Birth: A Sign of Mystery (Ashgate, 2012)
- Robbins, Anna M. Ecumenical and Eclectic: The Unity of the Church in the Contemporary World: Essays in Honour of Alan P. F. Sell (Paternoster, 2007)
- Robinson, Anthony B. Changing the Conversation: A Third Way for Congregations (Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2008)
- Roxborogh, John. A History of Christianity in Malaysia (Armour, 2014)
- Sell, Alan P.F. Hinterland Theology: A Stimulus to Theological Construction (Paternoster, 2008)
- ———-. Nonconformist Theology in the Twentieth Century (Paternoster, 2006)
- ———-. The Theological Education of the Ministry: Soundings in the British Reformed and Dissenting Traditions (Pickwick, 2013)
- Sell, Alan P. F. and Anthony R. Cross (eds). Protestant Nonconformity in the Twentieth Century (Paternoster, 2003)
- Severson, Eric R. (ed.). The Least of These: Selected Readings in Christian History (Cascade, 2007)
- Stackhouse Jr., John G. (ed.). What Does It Mean To Be Saved?: Broadening Evangelical Horizons of Salvation (Baker Academic, 2002)
- Stringfellow, William. Free in Obedience (Wipf and Stock, 2006)
- ———-. Imposters of God: Inquiries into Favorite Idols (Wipf and Stock, 2006); Parts I, II, III, IV
- ———-. Instead of Death (Wipf and Stock, 2004); Parts I, II, III, IV
- Swinton, John. Dementia: Living in the Memories of God (Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2012)
- Terry, Justyn, The Justifying Judgement of God (Paternoster, 2007)
- The Rutba House (ed.). School(s) for Conversion: 12 Marks of a New Monasticism (Cascade Books, 2005)
- Williams, John. Butcher’s Crossing (NYRB Classics, 2007)
- Wilson, John E. Introduction to Modern Theology: Trajectories in the German Tradition(Westminster John Knox, 2007)
- Wilson-Hartgrove, Jonathan. The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture (Paraclete Press, 2010)
- Yates, Timothy. The Conversion of the Māori: Years of Religious and Social Change, 1814–1842 (Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2013)
- York, Tripp. The Purple Crown: The Politics of Martyrdom (Herald Press, 2007)
- Young, William P. The Shack (Windblown Media, 2007)